The effects of pineapples on the skin
Pineapples are abundant in antioxidants, fibers, vitamins, and water – properties that are beneficial for the skin. Therefore, people often eat pineapples or apply them topically to their skin to boost their skin health. However, there are a few points to note before eating the fruit or before applying it topically. It is also recommended to consult a health professional before applying any such fruit to the skin.
The benefits of consuming pineapples
Pineapples contain multiple health benefits. The fruit contains bromelain – a powerful enzyme with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties when it comes to skin. The fruit also contains vitamin C, which also has benefits for the skin like:
- Increasing collagen production to give the skin structure and maintain plasticity
- Preventing damage to skin cells caused by free radicals
- Improving the pace of healing wounds by complimenting the production of new skin cells
Topical benefits of pineapples
People often resort to applying pineapple to their skin in the form of homemade serums and face masks. There even exist skincare products that contain pineapple extract or bromelain. Some studies describe the benefits of applying pineapple-based products to the skin.
- Face wash with bromelain extract is known to prevent acne-causing bacteria.
- People who applied the pineapple extract cream twice daily noticed a reduction in skin irritation, oil production, and melasma.
The limitations of the topical/oral use of pineapples
Though pineapple extracts are beneficial to the skin, applying too much may have adverse effects. The risk factors of consuming pineapples or applying lotions with pineapple extracts include:
- A slightly swollen tongue or redness around the mouth (the symptom may occur because bromelain is a potent enzyme and a common cause of skin irritation)
- No strong evidence to show positive results of topical use of pineapples
- The skin does not easily absorb the healthy properties of fresh pineapples
Pineapples contain several antioxidants, nutrients, and a healthy enzyme that benefits the skin. But applying the crowned fruit directly to the skin may have side effects and cause skin irritation. Therefore, we recommend using specially curated skincare products with pineapple or bromelain extracts to enjoy the benefits of topical pineapple.
Refrigerator deals to look for this shopping season
Buying a fridge is a long-term investment, and it makes sense not to rush into making a purchase. You need to note the needs of your household and consider potential electricity bills, aesthetics, and...